Orlando Family Lawyers for Contempt Issues

Your child's other parent may be in contempt of court as a result of violation of a court order regarding alimony, child support or child custody. Quite often, our family law attorneys hear tales of parents making unilateral decisions about children, in direct opposition to court orders. Parents who take such actions may be considered to be in contempt of the court.

Failure to participate in shared parental responsibilities, shared parenting and time sharing arrangements may be contemptuous behavior. One parent might fail to keep the other informed of doctor visits, for example. Our lawyers can bring an issue to court and petition for remedial measures for the offense. A family law court may order monetary or nonmonetary sanctions against parents in these situations. One example of a sanction would be to force the parent in contempt of court to give up or make up timesharing. Another example might be an order to pay travel expenses associated with timesharing.

When sanctions are not effective, parents can be sent to jail when they fail to pay alimony or child support as ordered or fail to allow fathers or mothers access to children as ordered by a family law court.

If you are a parent waiting for back child support payments, you may not want to see the other parent go to jail. However, you should know your rights and how to assert them. If you are a paying parent and the other parent is taking legal action against you, talk to a lawyer at McMichen, Cinami & Demps with no further obligation. Resolve the matter by legal means before incarceration becomes a real possibility.

Child Support — Contempt Of Court — Child Custody

Contact our family law office in Orlando to discuss your family law questions. We can offer an honest assessment of the legal issues involved in your case. Let us know what we can do to help. You can reach us by phone at 407-898-2161 or via e-mail.